Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pageant of the Masters

I wasn't familiar with Pageant of the Masters until about 4 or 5 years ago when a colleague told me about it. It sounded different, so I decided to go check it out for myself.

I have to say that the event was interesting and unlike anything I had ever seen before. Upon arrival, we all took our seats in an outdoor amphitheater (think Greek Theater). The lights dimmed and the "show" began. On stage, the audience observed what seemed like a large, beautiful painting. After a few moments, however, we realized that technically we weren't looking at a painting, we were looking at a "live picture". Everyone in what appeared to be a painting was real!

The "live picture" was accompanied by a live orchestra and live narration, which quite frankly I don't recall, but I read on the website. Anyway, the curtains closed and about 5 to 10 minutes later they reopened with yet another live picture. This went on for an hour or so, but it was phenomenal. I never imagined such a show existed!

The event takes place every year from the beginning of July to the end of August in Laguna Beach. As you enter the theater grounds, you can shop at various booths where vendors are selling art and food. Across the street from the theater, the Sawdust Festival takes place and nearby you'll find plenty of restaurants where you can enjoy a nice dinner.

My only recommendation is to get seats as close to the stage as possible, so you can really appreciate the show. Otherwise, don't forget your binoculars!
For more information, visit:http://www.foapom.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment